Sunday, May 4, 2008

Old Friends

This past Friday it was a nice day, and Keaghan had been asking to see my friend Joey. A little back story:

I had two friends growing up named Joey Hawkins and Jim McCarthy. We went to school together, starting at Altara Elementary. Go Kittyhawks! We were all really close all the way up through high school.

May of 1996 Joey was killed at a party over a simple misunderstanding and becuase one idiot was doped up on drugs. It was pretty traumatizing for me at the time, not only because he died, but because how it happened.

December of 1997 Jim died while hanging out the door of a Jeep. He fell out and got ran over. Before Joey died, he and Jim had become best friends. On Jim's casket was a picture of the two of them during better times.

So on to the present. Keaghan had been asking to see my friend Joey and so since it was a nice day out I figured it was as good a day as any. We visited both of them and I let the kids run around. Sounds a little morbid, but it's really peaceful, really beatiful, and obviously really safe.

Below are some pics of the headstones for those who haven't been able to visit for a while, or ever.





You'll notice on each headstone that there are some dandylions. Keaghan felt bad that there weren't any flowers for them so he picked some himself. What a sweet boy.

2 comments:

Steve and Jan said...

I remember both those kids also.
Memories always linger..

Jess and Broadie said...

JoJo, that was a good post ... kinda sad though, I remember them as well and I remember when it happened. I didn't know you guys were so close. I am glad you still go visit them though ... Hope you are well